Tuesday, January 6, 2015

#Edustory Blogging Challenge

Hello all!
I have to admit, when I saw the #YourEdustory Challenge on Twitter I was a little hesitant about accepting.  I thought it sounded very exciting and at the same time very scary...Will I be able to keep up with the posts?  Do I have anything of any value to say?  Will anyone actually READ my posts?  The more I thought about it, the more I decided to give it a go!  So here I am...I ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE!   Let's do this!  As Nike says, "Just Do It!"  Ok, I got carried away with my own little pep talk...sorry.

Here goes my first #YourEdustory post - What ONE word will inspire my classroom teaching for 2015?
Hmmmm...I think I'd have to say that word is "Awesome".  Now, I know you all are thinking; "Really?".  Of all the words in the dictionary, I pick "Awesome"?  Yes!  Here's why: "Awesome" encompasses everything I want my students to hear, read, see, believe, do and experience.  I want them to work hard, go above and beyond, take risks, fail sometimes, pick themselves back up and keep going.  I have this word posted in my classroom.  I remind my students every day when they leave to "Remember to Be Awesome".  This is a video that I shared with my students at the beginning of the year.

So, as I start on this somewhat intimidating road of blogging, I will remind myself to take risks, fail sometimes, pick myself back up and keep going and of course, to be "Awesome"! Come join me!

9 comments:

  1. Thats awesome. (Sorry, I had to.) I call my room (room 17 if you must know) Awesomnisity Central, for all the reasons you discuss above! Don't forget the awesome sauce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Wow! What a great start to this #YourEdusttory blogging challenge!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Mark - it is Awesome!
    Here is proof someone will read your post and the value in challenges like this as we connect and gain an audience for our ideas and thoughts. I am participating too and think my word will be 'Connect' (although I have not posted yet ;)
    Regards
    Celia (Melbourne Australia)
    ccoffa.edublogs.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comment! I can't wait to read your blog when you start! I agree with you-CONNECT is a wonderful word to start with on this new adventure!

      Delete
  3. Your one word made me think of this:
    http://youtu.be/RwlhUcSGqgs
    Be more awesome!
    Glad you have joined the Share #YourEdustory Challenge. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Kid President is super "awesome"!

      Delete
  4. I think the irony (and power) of inspiring awesome is that failure can be the most inspirational part of it. When I feel intimidated by the challenge to be an awesome teacher, I try to focus on how failure has led to awesome for so many people. We can't be awesome without it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100%! Too many times we (students included) let the fear of failure keep us from trying something. We, as teachers can try to change that!

      Delete
  5. Kudos to you Elise! I love how you made the video to help capture and share with your students your passion and the belief you have that each of them can make a difference. We are two peas in a pod too, on my classroom wall, in the words of Kid Pres (and now I'll think of you) are the words, "Be More Awesome." When I have a student misbehaving/off-track, I tell him/her to "Be More Awesome." :)

    ReplyDelete